Life Enrichment Center at Oyster Bay

FAQ’s

Who is eligible to come to the Center?

Is there a membership fee to join?

The Center consists of three separate programs, as well as a fitness center. Memberships vary by program, so please see our Membership page for detailed information regarding memberships for:

  • Daytime Senior Center Program: Membership is free. (Voluntary donations are suggested for lunch, transportation and most activities. No senior is ever denied a service due to lack of contribution.)
  • Evening Program: Evening classes and activities are available for a reasonable fee, as listed on our schedule.
  • Adult Day Care “Day Break” Program: Services are available for a reasonable daily fee. Call 516-558-7211 for information.
  • Fitness Center: $15 per month, or $165 for an annual fitness center membership.

As a non-profit, where does the Center’s funding come from?

Our lunch and transportation programs are partially funded by the Nassau County Department of Human Services, Office for the Aging through New York State Office for the Aging and U.S. Administration on Aging, with additional funding from the Town of Oyster Bay and New York State. However, this government funding represents only 25% of our overall budget; for the remaining 75%, the Center relies heavily on fundraising, member contributions, grants and donations from the public.

What type of programs and services does the Center provide?

The Center offers a balance of health and wellness programs, nutrition, transportation, social services, activities and socialization. To see all that the Center offers, please visit our Programs, Adult Day Care, and Services pages or click here for our Monthly Calendar.

Do I need a reservation for lunch?

Since we have an on-site chef who lovingly prepares lunch daily, reservations are recommended at least one day in advance. Please call the Center at 516-922-1770.

What hours is the Center open?

Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, and select weekday evenings.

Who is eligible for bus transportation to and from the Center?

Roundtrip bus transportation for our Daytime Senior Program is available to residents of Oyster Bay and the surrounding areas:

  • Bayville
  • Brookville
  • East Norwich
  • Lattingtown
  • Locust Valley
  • Mill Neck
  • Matinecock
  • Muttontown
  • Oyster Bay
  • Oyster Bay Cove
  • As well as parts of Syosset and Woodbury

Please call 516-922-1770 for bus reservations at least one day in advance.

What are the fees for the Daytime Senior Center program?

Membership for the Daytime Senior Center is free. Voluntary donations are suggested for lunch, transportation and activities, but no senior is ever denied a service due to lack of contribution:

  • $3 Daily Lunch (voluntary suggested donation)
  • $1.50 One-way transportation to the Center; $3 round trip (voluntary suggested donation)
  • $5 Daily exercise class or activity (voluntary suggested donation)

Do you provide transportation for appointments?

Our Elderly Transportation Service (ETS) provides rides for seniors in our area who do not have their own means of transportation for scheduled non-emergency dental, medical and social service appointments in nearby communities. Reservations are required. For details, please see our Services page.

Do you provide transportation for food shopping?

We offer bus transportation from our Center to the Stop and Shop Supermarket in Oyster Bay on Wednesdays after lunch. Immediately following lunch, the bus will take you shopping and drive you home afterwards. Please call 516-922-1770 for reservations.

When is the nurse available?

A registered nurse is available most weekday mornings from 10:00 am to noon for blood pressure screenings, assessments, answers to general medical questions, and provide advice and referrals.

Does the Center have an on-site Social Worker?

Yes, we have a licensed Social Worker on staff full-time Monday through Friday. The social worker can provide information, support and guidance to seniors and their families regarding Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, caregivers, housing, resources available through government and other agencies, and so much more. For a full list of services, please visit our Services page.

Does the Center have a Caregiver’s Support Group?

Yes, our Caregiver Support groups offer an opportunity for caregivers to share their experiences and concerns, and learn new ways to address difficult issues. Our Monday evening Caregiver Support group meets twice a month from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and our daytime group usually meets on the second Wednesday of the month at 1:30 pm. Admission to these meetings is free and all are welcome, regardless of your situation or relation to the senior. For more information and this month’s meeting schedule, please call 516-922-1770.

Does the Center have an Adult Day Care program?

Yes, our Social Model Adult Day Care program, “Day Break”, offers socialization and recreation for individuals with memory impairment, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and other age related frailties for a reasonable daily fee. Please call 516-558-7211 for information. Private Payment, Long Term Care Insurance and Medicaid Accepted.

When is the “Silver Threads” Clothing Thrift Shop open?

The shop is open to the public Monday through Friday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm (closed for lunch from noon to 12:30 pm).

Does the Center have an on-site food pantry?

The Center maintains a small food pantry that is available to people in need within our community. For more information, please call the Center at 516-922-1770.

How can I volunteer?

Our Center is always looking for individuals who are willing to volunteer their time and talent. Click here for a list of our Volunteer Opportunities.

As a non-profit, where does the Center’s funding come from?

Our lunch and transportation programs are partially funded by the Nassau County Department of Human Services, Office for the Aging through New York State Office for the Aging and U.S. Administration on Aging, with additional funding from the Town of Oyster Bay and New York State. However, this government funding represents only 25% of our overall budget; for the remaining 75%, the Center relies heavily on fundraising, member contributions, grants, bequests, and donations from the public

Scroll to Top